Thought this was pretty cool/funny. I am a Tebow fan, but I was more impressed by the cleverness of the remix.
It’s that time of year again: time for my predictions for 2012!
Just to clarify (as always) this no attempt at fortune-telling, tea reading, astrology, or anything involving animal entrails. Instead, I am estimating what I think might happen according to everything from Game Theory and analysis to gut feeling. Some things I get pretty accurately. Other times I am flat wrong. It seems to me that I have a pretty decent track record, but the only reason that I do this is for fun.
The challenge is for anyone to do this along with me, and see who gets things the most right. So, here goes…
- The one thing I always hate doing is presidential politics. It seems to me that in any election cycle anything over one month off is a political eternity, but there are a few points that I think will be big influences.
- Anyone but Romney will have a hard time winning at all, because they are too flash-in-the-pan-y. Every other candidate has such big negatives that it will be pretty easy for Obama to paint them as either evil or crazy. Ron Paul seems to be the one exception to that, but he does his own job of making himself seem crazy by opening his mouth.
- Romney’s challenge will be to motivate the Republican base. In the ridiculously long primary season, the fact that almost everyone has taken their turn at leading is a really bad sign for Romney. It is almost an anyone but Romney attitude that might be hard for him to overcome.
- Because of the above points, the chance of a last-minute third party run by someone seems good, but that would lose the election for the Republican, no matter who it is.
- Really poor economy pre-election loses the race for Obama.
- A war probably loses the election for Obama also.
- Even an illusion of a good economy seals the election for Obama
- All of this is completely negated by major unforseen circumstances, which will probably happen.
- Come Summer no one will be occupying anything
- Summer will see revitalized Tea Party activity
- Immigration will be an even bigger issue than last year
- I hope that I am wrong–A terror attack on US soil which will involve attackers getting here via Mexico. This will spark a major tense discussion of border issues.
- As I see it Game Theory-ed out, this is in the terrorists best interests. Although my experience has taught me that the formidable-ness of this particular opponent is definitely not in their thoughtfulness, this seems in their best interest. We have taken the fight to them. Al Qaida is mostly wiped out. I have read several articles regarding this, and they have recently raised the idea of negotiating with us (through the Taliban). In radical islamic strategy, this is the step to take when one is on his heels. Attacking the US homeland would make sense. Further, in bringing it from Mexico (also easier to sneak in that way) it would create an internal fight in the US. With a huge percentage of the population being illegally from Mexico, and without allegiance to the US, it would create turmoil. If I were a strategiest for them, I would be looking at that idea. This is the type of process that I go through in determining all of my guesses.
- I am praying that there is a constitutional backlash against the dangerous laws that have been passed to curtail citizens’ rights for the sake of security. This combined with the above could cause massive chaos politically in the US. This might be beneficial in the long run, but won’t be fun.
- Military action involving Iran. It won’t be pretty. If it doesn’t happen, look for massive war in the future. If it does happen, there might be war now. Further, this would seriously hurt the US economy. This will be an important moment for Obama. If he allows conflict with Iran it hurts the economy and is another war. These are the 2 things that would prevent his re-election. If he doesn’t push Iran, then it will probably cause big problems for the US and our allies into the future.
- North Korea will stay totalitarian communist. It is in China’s best interest. Though it could be a tense year for the two Koreas.
- Lady Gaga gets involved in even weirder stuff. I know that this seems like a non-prediction (like saying there will be weather), I am serious.
- Facebook will lose users for the first time in its history.
- The world will not end in December. No planet will pass near the earth. There will be no magnetic pole shift. But pop culture will get really obnoxious about the end of the world as you know it by year’s end. There will be a movie or two.
- The summer movie season will be populated by even more over-hyped action junk than usual. There will also be a much higher rate of raunchy comedies. -Ryan